Our program combats summer learning loss while fostering leadership, literacy, and social responsibility.
Not New to This, but True to This
CDF Freedom Schools® is where learning comes to life. Since 1995, over 200,000 K–12 Scholars have embraced the CDF Freedom Schools adventure. Plus, we’ve trained more than 20,000 young adults and child advocates in our proven model. In 2023, we teamed up with 128 organizations, reaching over 11,000 children and youth across 191 program sites nationwide.
have experienced CDF Freedom Schools since 1995
young adults and child advocates
have been trained on the delivery of the CDF Freedom Schools model
children and youth served
Research and Data
In 2023, nearly all Scholars improved (55.1%) or maintained (30.0%) their reading skills during the six-week program, preventing the typical summer learning loss. Especially inspiring were the significant strides made by Scholars reading below grade level at the start of the summer.
Children who participated in the last year’s program responded that CDF Freedom Schools helped them to
- accurately assess their strengths and limitations, with a well-grounded sense of confidence, optimism, and a “growth mindset”.
- successfully regulate their emotions, thoughts, and behaviors in different situations
- take the perspective of and empathize with others.
- communicate clearly, listen well, cooperate with others, resist inappropriate social pressure, negotiate conflict constructively, and seek and offer help when needed.
- make constructive choices about personal behaviors and social interactions.
Social and Emotional Learning Skills
Children agreed that the CDF Freedom Schools experience helped them improve in these areas:
Year-over-Year Positive Impact of the CDF Freedom Schools®
2023 Data: Children Served by State
2023 Data: Percent of Children Served by Race/Ethnicity
2023 Data: Children Served by Partner Site
Contribute Your Research
Our model sparks academic curiosity, driving research in education, advocacy, and policy. We’ve curated a database, “Research in the Field,” featuring impactful dissertations and studies. To contribute your research, email us your CV and paper for consideration.Learn more about CDF Freedom Schools Research