The Proctor Institute begins on Monday, July 15th. The following information may help you plan your arrival time accordingly:
- The Pre-Session for Seminarians, those who have enrolled for graduate credit, is from 9:00 a.m. – 5:15 p.m.
- General registration opens at noon and continues until 7 p.m. Lunch will be available for early arrivals.
- Orientation for First-Time Participants begins at 2:00 p.m. and includes a guided walking tour of CDF Haley Farm at 4:00 p.m.
- Choir rehearsal for any interested singers begins at 5:15 p.m. Dinner is at 6:00 p.m.
- The formal start of the Proctor Institute is at 7:15 p.m. with a welcoming address followed by the opening of the Great Preachers Series.
The last day of the Proctor Institute is Friday, July 19th. The final day includes a Children and Justice plenary session and the Closing Celebration of Worship and Commitment which will culminate with a presentation by the children of participants who are enrolled in the Proctor Institute CDF Freedom School. The Proctor Institute will end by 12 Noon. (Seminarians enrolled for credit will have a post-session that ends by 2 p.m. on Friday.)
Allow at least two hours from your CDF Haley Farm departure until your flight’s departure time (to provide time for the shuttle ride to the airport and the recommended hour for check-in). We encourage you to schedule a flight that departs after 2:00 p.m. which will allow you to remain through the conclusion of the Proctor Institute at Noon. You won’t want to miss this special culmination of the week.
CDF Haley Farm is located at 1000 Alex Haley Lane in Clinton, Tenn., approximately 30 miles from Knoxville, Tenn.
- If you will be flying, you should book your flight to McGhee Tyson Airport in Knoxville, Tennessee.
- CDF provides round-trip airport shuttle service for the 40-minute ride from McGhee Tyson Airport to CDF Haley Farm for a fee of $60.
- If you will be driving to the Proctor Institute, you can find driving directions at www.haleyfarm.org. There is ample free parking at CDF Haley Farm. The parking lot is a short walk from rest of CDF Haley Farm. If you will require golf-cart assistance or handicapped parking, please contact Ken Libby at (865) 457-6466 in advance so that we can be aware and make appropriate arrangements.
Weather and Walking
Weather in Tennessee in July is typically hot. The various buildings and other locations on the grounds of CDF Haley Farm are reached by walking gravel paths. (Golf cart assistance is available for those with mobility needs.) You are encouraged to pack casual, comfortable clothing for the weather (as well as a reusable water bottle, sunglasses, hat, and any other items to maximize your comfort in the heat) and comfortable shoes for walking the grounds.
You will need to make your own arrangements for lodging during the week. The recommended hotels in Clinton, Tenn. are listed below. You are encouraged to book your hotels as soon as possible as they typically reach capacity. Please call the hotel directly and indicate that you are a Proctor Institute participant. Special rates are available for reservations confirmed by July 1, 2019.
A free CDF shuttle will transport participants between these hotels and CDF Haley Farm. Some participants enjoy the short walk between these hotels and CDF Haley Farm.
- Baymont Inn & Suites: (865) 457-4311
- Comfort Inn: (865) 457-2255
- Hampton Inn: (865) 691-8070
- Holiday Inn Express: (865) 457-2233
- Super 8: (865) 457-2311
If the hotels are all full by the time you call to make your reservation, please contact Ken Libby at (865) 457-6466 to discuss alternate hotel arrangements.
Limited scholarship funding is available for younger organizers (aged 30 and under) and seminarians enrolling in the Proctor Seminary Course for credit (aged 35 and under). More information about scholarships is available here .
Questions? If you have questions about:
- Registration, housing, or travel logistics: call CDF Haley Farm at (865) 457-6466
- Program or workshops: email Rev. Shannon Daley-Harris at SDaleyHarris@childrensdefense.org.
- The seminarian course for graduate credit at the Proctor Institute: call Dr. Janet Wolf at (615) 260-2894.
- CDF Freedom School program at Proctor Institute for children ages 5-15 who pre-register: email Dr. Philippa Smithey, National Director of the CDF Freedom Schools Program, at PSmithey@childrensdefense.org.
Cancellation Policy for CDF’s Proctor Institute
Cancellations submitted in writing, postmarked or faxed on or before June 27 will be refunded, less a $50 processing fee. Cancellations postmarked June 28 – July 8 will be refunded $75. No refund of registration fee is possible for cancellations postmarked or faxed after July 8, 2019. Registrations may, however, be transferred to another name but not to another year.