The 2022 Proctor Institute begins Monday, July 18. Please use the following information to plan your arrival:
- The Pre-Session for Seminarians, those who have enrolled for graduate credit, is 9:00 a.m. –5:00 p.m.
- General registration opens at 12pm and continues until 7:00 p.m. Lunch will be available for early arrivals.
- Family Orientation for Freedom Schools Children and Accompanying Adults begins at 2:00 p.m.
- Choir rehearsal for any interested singers begins at 4:00 p.m. Dinner is at 5:30 p.m.
- The formal start time of the 2022 Proctor Institute is 7:00 p.m., which includes a welcoming address followed by the opening of the Great Preachers Series.
The last day of the 2022 Proctor Institute is Thursday, July 21. The final day includes a Children and Justice plenary session and the Closing Celebration of Worship and Commitment, which will culminate with a presentation by the children of participants who are enrolled in the CDF Freedom Schools Program.
The 2022 Proctor Institute will end by 12:00 p.m. Seminarians enrolled for credit will have a post-session that ends by 2:00 p.m. on Thursday.
We encourage on-site attendees to allow at least two (2) hours from your CDF Haley Farm departure until your flight’s departure time, in order to provide time for the shuttle ride to the airport and the recommended hour for check-in. We encourage you to schedule a flight that departs after 2:00 p.m. which will allow you to remain through the conclusion of the Proctor Institute at 12:00 p.m. You won’t want to miss this special culmination of the week!
CDF Haley Farm is located at 1000 Alex Haley Lane in Clinton, TN, approximately 30 miles north of Knoxville, Tenn.
- If you are flying to the event, book your flight to McGhee Tyson Airport in Knoxville, TN. Due to the uncertainties related to COVID-19, we encourage you to consider flexible and refundable fares in case you need to cancel for personal needs or in case the 2022 Proctor Institute needs to be cancelled for public health reasons.
- CDF provides round-trip airport shuttle service for the 40-minute ride from McGhee Tyson Airport to CDF Haley Farm for a fee of $70. You can book your shuttle service on the event registration page.
- If you are driving to the 2022 Proctor Institute, you can find driving directions at www.haleyfarm.org. There is ample free parking on site at CDF Haley Farm. All participant vehicles will need a parking permit before approaching the gate. Look for such a pass at your hotel front desk, or contact Ken Libby at (865) 457-6466. The parking lot is a short walk from rest of CDF Haley Farm. If you will need golf cart assistance or ADA-accessible parking, please contact Ken Libby at (865) 457-6466 in advance so that we can be aware and make appropriate arrangements.
Weather and Walking
Weather in Tennessee in July is typically hot. The various buildings and other locations on the grounds of CDF Haley Farm are reached by walking gravel paths. (Golf cart assistance is available for those with mobility needs.) You are encouraged to pack casual, comfortable clothing for the weather—as well as a reusable water bottle, sunglasses, hat, and any other items to maximize your comfort in the heat—and comfortable shoes for walking the grounds.
You must make your own arrangements for lodging during the week. Recommended hotels in Clinton, TN are listed below. Please call the hotel directly and indicate that you are a Proctor Institute participant.
A free CDF shuttle will transport participants between these hotels and CDF Haley Farm. Some participants enjoy the short walk between these hotels and CDF Haley Farm.
123 Welcome Lane
Clinton, TN 37716
130 Tanner Lane
Clinton, TN 37716
710 Park Place
Clinton, TN 37716
If the hotels are all full by the time you call to make your reservation, please contact Ken Libby at (865) 457-6466 to discuss alternate hotel arrangements.
If you have questions about:
- Registration, housing, or travel logistics: call CDF Haley Farm at (865) 457-6466 or email CDFhaley@childrensdefense.org.
- Program or workshops: email Rev. Cherisna Jean-Marie at CJeanMarie@childrensdefense.org.
- The seminarian course for graduate credit at the Proctor Institute: email Rev. Cherisna Jean-Marie at CJeanMarie@childrensdefense.org.
- CDF Freedom School program at Proctor Institute for children ages 5-15 who pre-register: email Dr. Kristal Moore Clemons, at KMooreClemons@childrensdefense.org
Cancellation Policy for CDF’s Proctor Institute
In 2022, due to uncertainties related to COVID-19, registrations will be refunded in full for participants who cannot attend the 2022 Proctor Institute.