Those who are presenting at Proctor 2018 are listed in bold
Branch, Taylor. (2013) The King Years: Historic Moments in the Civil Rights Movement (Book 1)
Burton, Susan and Cari Lynn. (2017) Becoming Ms. Burton: From Prison to Recovery to Leading the Fight for Incarcerated Women. (Book 2)
Edelman, Peter (2017) Not a Crime to Be Poor: The Criminalization of Poverty in America (Book 3)
Ellison, Gregory (2017) Fearless Dialogues: A New Movement for Justice (Book 4)
Janssen, Denise, ed. (2015) Educating for Redemptive Community: Essays in Honor of Jack Symour and Margaret Ann Crain (Book 5); note especially essays by Reginald Blount, Leah Gunning-Francis and Evelyn Parker
Khan-Cullors, Patrisse, asha Bandele and Angela Davis. (2018) When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir. (Book 6)
Lightsey, Pamela. (2015) Our Lives Matter: A Womanist Queer Theology. (Book 7)
Reyes, Patrick. (2016) Nobody Cries When We Die: God, Community, and Surviving to Adulthood. (Book 8)
Wong, Kent, Ana Luz Gonzalez and James M. Lawson Jr. (2016) Nonviolence and Social Movements: The Teachings of Rev. James M. Lawson Jr. (Book 9)
All students are to become familiar with the CDF website: www.childrensdefense.org
with special attention to Child Watch Columns by Marian Wright Edelman
Extra Credit Reading
Daley-Harris, Shannon. (2016) Hope for the Future: Answering God’s Call to Justice for Our Children.
Sadler, Rodney and Emerson Powery. (2016) The Genesis of Liberation: Biblical Interpretation in the Antebellus Narratives of the Enslaved.
Students are encouraged to watch two documentaries before arriving
Dolores, https://www.doloresthemovie.com/ Delores Huerta is one of our speakers for Proctor 2018
I Am Not Your Negro, http://www.iamnotyournegrofilm.com/
Suggested Readings and Resources
Those in bold indicate author will be at Proctor 2018
- Video: Civil Rights | Watch Makers: Women who Make America on Women in the Civil Rights
- Eyes on the Prize documentary series.
- Allen, Ronald, Dale P. Andrews, Dawn Ottoni Wilhelm. (2011, 2012, 2013). Preaching God’s Transforming Justice, Lectionary Year[s] A, B, and C.
- Anderson, Victor. (1999). Beyond Ontological Blackness.
- Anderson, Victor. (2008). Creative Exchange.
- Andrews, Dale P. (2002). Practical Theology for Black Churches.
- Andrews, Dale P. and Robert London Smith Jr., editors. (2015). Black Practical Theology.
- Barber II, William J. (2016) The Third Reconstruction: Moral Mondays, Fusion Politics, and the Rise of a New Justice Movement.
- Black, Daniel. (2016) The Coming.
- Brueggemann, Walter. (2001, 2nd ed.)Prophetic Imagination.
- Douglas, Kelly Brown. (2015) Stand Your Ground: Black Bodies and the Justice of God.
- Edelman, Marian Wright. (1993). The Measure of Our Success.
- Ellison, Gregory. (2013). Cut Dead but Still Alive.
- Harding, Vincent. (2010). Hope and History.
- Harding, Vincent. (2008). Martin Luther King Jr.: The Inconvenient Hero.
- Heschel, Abraham. (1962, 2001). The Prophets.
- Hicks, Derek S. (2012). Reclaiming Spirit in the Black Faith Tradition.
- Lindner, Eileen. (2006) Thus Far on the Way: Toward a Theology of Child Advocacy.
- Marbury, Herbert. (2015). Pillars of Cloud and Fire: The Politics of Exodus in the African American Quest for Freedom.
- McMickle, Marvin. (2006). Where Have All the Prophets Gone.
- Moss III, Otis. (2015) Blue Note Preaching in a Post-Soul World: Finding Hope in an Age of Despair
- Myers, Ched. The Biblical Vision of Sabbath Economics, 4th printing. Oak View, CA: Bartimaeus Cooperative Ministries, 2006.
----Binding the Strong Man: A Political Reading of Mark’s Story of Jesus. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 1988.
- Myers, Ched, Marie Dennis, Joseph Nanble, Cynthia Moe-Loebeda and Stuart Taylor. “Say to This Mountain” Mark’s Story of Discipleship. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 1996.
- Myers, Ched and Elaine Enns. Ambassadors of Reconciliation, Volume I: New Testament Reflections on Restorative Justice and Peacemaking. Volume II: Diverse Christian Practices of Restorative Justice and Peacemaking. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2009.
- Myers, Ched. With Matthew Colwell. (2012) Our God Is Undocumented: Biblical Faith and Immigrant Justice.
- Otfinoski, Stephen. (1991). Marian Wright Edelman: Defender of Children’s Rights.
- Parker, Evelyn. (2010). The Sacred Selves of Adolescent Girls: Hard Stories of Race, Class, and Gender.
- Pearse, Angie. (2010). Doing Contextual Theology.
- Pierce, Yolanda. (2005) Hell Without Fire: Slavery, Christianity and the Antebellum Spiritual Narrative.
- Ross, Rosetta E. (2003). Witnessing & Testifying.
- Sheppard, Phillis. (2011). Self, Culture, and Others in Womanist Practical Theology.
- Salvatierra, Alexia. (2014) Faith-Rooted Organizing: Mobilizing the Church in Service to the World
- Smith, Linda T. (2012, Revised 2nd ed.). Decolonizing Methodologies: Research and Indigenous Peoples
- Stevenson, Bryan. (2014). Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption.
- Taylor, Mark Lewis. (2015, Revised and Expanded, 2nd Ed.) The Executed God: The Way of the Cross in Lockdown America.
- Thurman, Howard. (reprint, 1949) Jesus and the Disinherited.
- Tubbs Tisdale. (2010). Prophetic Preaching: A Pastoral Approach.
- Wallis, Jim. (2016) America’s Original Sin: Racism, White Privilege, and the Bridge to a New America.
- Washington, James M. (2001 ed.). A Testament of Hope.
- Wimberly, Anne. (2005). Soul Stories: African American Christian Education.