How to Apply
We are no longer accepting applications for the 2016 Beat the Odds® Program.
To apply to the Beat the Odds scholarship program, at minimum, a student must be:
- Nominated by or seek nomination from a teacher, counselor, caseworker, or other adult who can speak to the following: his/her character, academic achievement, commitment to social justice issues/community, and the tremendous odds he/she beats every day;
- A current high school sophomore; and
- Enrolled in a public or public-charter school in Washington, DC; Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax or Loudon Counties or the Cities of Manassas or Falls Church in Virginia; or in Montgomery or Prince George’s Counties in Maryland.
Beat the Odds scholarship applications are reviewed by our staff and a selection committee that reflects the professional and ethnic diversity of our community. We consider each applicant holistically and within the context of their academic achievement, personal circumstances, available support network, and commitment to service. Successful applications will be able to demonstrate:
- Strong academic achievement, commitment to learning, and the potential for post-secondary success. A minimum 3.0 GPA is required.
- Unmet financial need, limited opportunities, lack of support at home or in the community.
- Perseverance in the face of challenges and obstacles, strong work ethic, and the ability to remain focused on goals.
- Participation in school activities, community organizations, employment, or community service.