Each Day in America for Black Children
- 1 mother dies in childbirth.
- 1 child is killed by abuse or neglect.
- 1 child or teen commits suicide.
- 3 children or teens are killed by guns.
- 4 children or teens die from accidents.
- 19 babies die before their first birthdays.
- 95 children are arrested for violent crimes.
- 95 children are arrested for drug crimes.
- 104 babies are born without health insurance.
- 199 babies are born to teen mothers.
- 211 babies are born at low birthweight.
- 310 babies are born into extreme poverty.
- 336 public school students are corporally punished.*
- 384 children are confirmed as abused or neglected.
- 597 babies are born into poverty.
- 763 high school students drop out.*
- 1,153 babies are born to unmarried mothers.
- 1,274 children are arrested.
- 6,191 public school students are suspended.*
*Based on 180 school days a year. See Endnotes in The State of America's Children 2014 for citations.
Learn more stats about the state of children in America on our Moments in America for Children page.