Each Day in America
- 2 mothers die in childbirth.
- 4 children are killed by abuse or neglect.
- 5 children or teens commit suicide.
- 7 children or teens are killed by firearms.
- 24 children or teens die from accidents.
- 67 babies die before their first birthdays.
- 208 children are arrested for violent crimes.
- 467 children are arrested for drug crimes.
- 838 public school students are corporally punished.*
- 892 babies are born at low birthweight.
- 914 babies are born to teen mothers.
- 1,208 babies are born without health insurance.
- 1,825 children are confirmed as abused or neglected.
- 2,712 babies are born into poverty.
- 2,857 high school students drop out.*
- 4,475 babies are born to unmarried mothers.
- 4,500 children are arrested.
- 16,244 public school students are suspended.*
**Based on 180 school days a year. The numbers for suspensions and corporal punishment are underreports because they are based on a survey of 85% of all students, and because they do not take into account repeat suspensions or corporal punishments in the same students.
Learn more stats about the state of children in America on our Moments in America for Children page.