Each Day in America for White Children
- 1 mother dies in childbirth.
- 1 child is killed by abuse or neglect.
- 4 children or teens commit suicide.
- 4 children or teens are killed by firearms.
- 15 children or teens die from accidents.
- 44 babies die before their first birthdays.
- 99 children are arrested for violent offenses.
- 346 children are arrested for drug crimes.
- 358 babies are born to teen mothers.
- 404 public school students are corporally punished.*
- 423 babies are born at low birthweight.
- 797 children are confirmed as abused or neglected.
- 860 babies are born without health insurance.
- 1,066 high school students drop out.*
- 1,688 babies are born into poverty.
- 1,719 babies are born to unmarried mothers.
- 2,977 children are arrested.
- 5,233 public school students are suspended.*
* Based on 180 schools days a year. The numbers for suspensions and corporal punishment are underreports because they are based on a survey of 85% of all students, and because they do not take into account repeat suspensions or corporal punishments in the same students.
Learn more stats about the state of children in America on our Moments in America for Children page.