Each Day in America for Hispanic Children
- 1 child is killed by abuse or neglect.
- 1 child or teen commits suicide.
- 1 child or teen is killed by firearms.
- 4 children or teens die from accidents.
- 56 public school students are corporally punished.*
- 180 babies are born at low birthweight.
- 304 babies are born to teen mothers.
- 378 babies are born without health insurance.
- 402 children are confirmed as abused or neglected.
- 834 high school students drop out.*
- 893 babies are born into poverty.
- 1,382 babies are born to unmarried mothers.
- 3,453 public school students are suspended.*
* Based on 180 schools days a year. The numbers for suspensions and corporal punishment are underreports because they are based on a survey of 85% of all students, and because they do not take into account repeat suspensions or corporal punishments in the same students.
Learn more stats about the state of children in America on our Moments in America for Children page.