Each Day in America for Black Children
- 1 mother dies in childbirth.
- 1 child is killed by abuse or neglect.
- 1 child or teen commits suicide.
- 3 children or teens are killed by firearms.
- 4 children or teens die from accidents.
- 20 babies die before their first birthdays.
- 105 children are arrested for violent crimes.
- 111 children are arrested for drug crimes.
- 170 babies are born without health insurance.
- 218 babies are born at low birthweight.
- 219 babies are born to teen mothers.
- 336 public school students are corporally punished.*
- 390 children are confirmed as abused or neglected.
- 740 babies are born into poverty.
- 763 high school students drop out.*
- 1,172 babies are born to unmarried mothers.
- 1,405 children are arrested.
- 6,191 public school students are suspended.
* Based on 180 schools days a year. The numbers for suspensions and corporal punishment are underreports because they are based on a survey of 85% of all students, and because they do not take into account repeat suspensions or corporal punishments in the same students.
Learn more stats about the state of children in America on our Moments in America for Children page.