Movement-Building and Outreach Programs Internships
Youth Leadership and Development Internships
The Children's Defense Fund is an organization deeply committed to our Leave No Child Behind mission and to ensure that every child has a Healthy Start, a Head Start, a Fair Start, a Safe Start and a Moral Start in life with the support of caring parents and nurturing communities. For 40 years, CDF has combined education, policy development, leadership training and other efforts to protect children and encourage preventive investment in children before they get sick, drop out of school, suffer family breakdown or get into trouble.
Youth Leadership and Development is a dynamic team that focuses on building future child advocates and organizers throughout the nation.
- Preparation and delivery of training and technical assistance for local program staff
- Outreach to current and prospective CDF Freedom Schools program sites
- Developing training materials
- Drafting correspondence and responding to site inquiries
- Researching best practices in educational and cultural enrichment after-school and summer programs
Required Experience and Qualifications
- Verbal and written communications skills
- Flexibility and work ethic
- Ability to work alone or in groups to accomplish task
- Experience in outreach efforts, such as campaigning or canvassing, preferred
- Must display incentive to take the lead on various outreach efforts to expose a large number of people to the work of CDF. A sense of creativity encouraged.
- Ability to work effectively and calmly in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment with daily deadlines.
- Strong organizational and execution skills.
- Commitment to social advocacy and CDF’s mission to be a voice for all children in America.
- Ability to organize facts and present issues in a clear, concise and logical manner, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to commit at least 30 hours per week required.
How to Apply for the CDF Internship Program
Each applicant must submit the following
- CDF Internship Application
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
Please send application materials, either by mail, email, fax, or online form
Children's Defense Fund
Attn: Internship Coordinator
25 E Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20001
The Children’s Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer.